vineri, 2 aprilie 2010

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling - Book Review

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" was perhaps the most anticipated book ever. It certainly received a lot of media attention this year, before its release. The final book in the series, it was expected to provide an answer for all the many questions Harry Potter fans were speculating about. Would Harry survive? Would Voldemort win? What about Ron and Hermione - would they be alright? Would Harry and Ginny get back together? Was Dumbledore's faith in Snape justified?I was amongst those who had pre-ordered the book to find out all the answers. It was with mixed emotions that I received it on the day of its release, because I knew that after this there would be no more Harry Potter novels to look forward to. Of course, that didn't stop me from settling down with the book immediately.In this seventh installment of the series, we find Harry once more at Privet Drive, ready to say farewell to it for the last time. This year, he won't be a student at Hogwarts. He has a task to complete - he needs to locate and destroy the remaining Horcruxes. Harry being Harry, he is determined to go alone rather than risk the lives of his friends. Things work out a bit different than planned, and soon he is on the run from the dark powers of Voldemort with Ron and Hermione at his side.Like most Harry Potter novels, friendship, courage and hope are at the centre of the storyline. As I followed the characters on their near-hopeless quest, I felt despair on their behalf and I do admit I shed a couple of tears when everything got very bad.The grand finale of the book and the inevitable confrontation between Harry and Voldemort is like a tightly woven web. Everything comes together in the lead up to the conclusion, and I found myself satisfied with the way it turned out.Afterwards, we catch a glimpse of the future and get to find out what happened to the various remaining characters. I found this to be a nice bonus and closed the book with a smile.There are only a couple of negative sides to "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", in my opinion. My main grievance is the editing. It feels rushed, there are quite a few errors and there are many run-on sentences. I spotted one sentence of more than 90 words in length. This could potentially cause difficulties for some readers. There were a few instances where I felt the lengthy sentences took away from the tension, especially at crucial moments in the plot. Additionally, there was a lot of repetitiveness in description.The second "issue" I have is that there seem to be some inconsistencies in the plot. Some aspects do not add up. Perhaps, to a casual reader, this will be unnoticeable but the editor in me made me flick back several times and re-read paragraphs. This did somewhat hinder the overall reading experience.For parents wondering whether or not this book is suitable for younger children, I would advise you to give the book a read first. There are darker moments and a few characters do find their end. Some of them are popular characters, which could cause some upset.Overall, I did enjoy this installment and I would certainly recommend it to others. J.K. Rowling is an excellent author who knows how to hold a reader's attention. The plot is interesting and the characters are so believable you can't help but feel for them and care for their fate.According to the author bio, J.K. Rowling has written fiction since she was a child. She wrote her first "book" at the age of six. Her Harry Potter series is known throughout the world and loved by readers of all ages. Apart from the main series, Rowling has written two companion books, "Quidditch Through The Ages" and "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", both in aid of Comic Relief."Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" was first published in 2007 by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, with ISBN 978-0-7475-9105-4. dr seuss cat in hat book

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu