vineri, 2 aprilie 2010

Interview with Lucinda Clark - Author and Compiler of "View From the Middle of the Road Vol II"

Today, Tyler R. Tichelaar of Reader Views is pleased to be joined by Lucinda Clark, who is responsible for compiling "View from the Middle of the Road, Volume II," PRA Publishing (2006), ISBN 9780972770361, a poetry anthology that showcases four African American Poets from the East Coast States. The poets write about love, life, and what it is like to be African American in this country.Lucinda Clark is the founder of P.R.A. Publishing. She has worked with visual artists and authors on the promotion and marketing of their creative works for the past nineteen years. She wrote her first volume of "View from the Middle of the Road, where the greenest grass grows" in 2004. She has published 8 other titles by other authors since then. She currently resides in Martinez, Georgia with her husband Robert and their two children. She is the publisher of two "View from the Middle of the Road" volumes, and one of the poets included in the second volume. She plans to release the next edition in the series next winter.Tyler: Thank you, Lucinda, for joining me today. First of all, "View from the Middle of the Road" is one in a series of poetry books. Would you begin by telling us a little bit about that series and how it came about?Lucinda: The View series began as an experiment in my transition from a visual artist agent to publisher of authors. I kept hearing how difficult it is to break into the business so I wrote and published the first View to get the total experience first hand. The art you find on each View cover is the way I stay connected to the art world; each new edition will showcase work by a talented visual artist.How the idea for the anthology developed--my husband and I started sponsoring an art and writing contest at our children's schools about 8 years ago. As the contest grew and queries from poets to be published have come in, we have found that we could expand our tribute to poetry platform by changing "View" into an anthology to expand visibility for all the poets out there who may never get the chance to see their work in print.Tyler: Lucinda, you are also a poet, but there's a big difference between being an unpublished and a published writer. How has your life changed since you've published your poetry?Lucinda: People are always wondering when will I publish my next book or suggesting things I should write about.Tyler: Publishing books yourself as opposed to being a published writer also adds a challenge, but probably also advantages and insights into the industry. What have been the biggest learning curves and also advantages to you as a publisher and poet?Lucinda: I don't really see that much of a difference between publishing my work and having it published by a bigger publishing concern. This is what most authors don't understand. A publisher can only put a set amount of time money and PR resources to a given project; then they must move on to the next project(s). It is up to the author to keep the title constantly fresh.My biggest learning curve, all the details that must be covered pre, during and post release of a title. Sometimes it can drive you mad!I have found the biggest advantage to being a publisher is the great number of people you get to help by showcasing literary works along with the programs we put on to promote what we do.Tyler: "View from the Middle of the Road, Volume II" focuses on four African American Poets from the East Coast States. Would you briefly tell us a little bit about each of those poets' works?Lucinda: Each of the poets selected for View II have had some sort of connection with us prior to the book's publication. Toni Quest is not only featured in the book, she is also the artist whose work is on the cover of the book. I heard Makal read at an annual arts festival here in Augusta; his reading and other self- published chapbooks were so powerful that we selected some of his previous works for this edition. Robert Ward was one of the winners of our contest that we held in 2006. He lives in North Carolina and writes wonderful sci-fi pieces that he is going to have published.Tyler: You didn't mention yourself, but I understand you're the fourth poet included in the volume, and consequently from one of the East Coast states.Lucinda: I am originally from Philadelphia, PA. I lived and studied in New Orleans where I received both my B.S. and Masters degrees from Dillard and Tulane Universities respectively. I have written for my sorority newsletter and the newsletter for my rotary club. I also have one or two articles I have co-written. I have also written lots of promotional material and press releases. I functioned as an artist agent before my leap into publishing.Tyler: How did you choose which poets to include in the anthology?Lucinda: Our choices were made based on entries and contact we had available at the time. We now receive queries from all over the world. So our pool of selection has expanded greatly.Tyler: Did you find similarities among these poets because of the region where they live?Lucinda: Not really.Tyler: I know it is difficult to summarize, but what do you feel is the message in these poems about what it is like to be African American in this country?Lucinda: Diversity of a culture within a culture is the best way to describe it. If you take the backgrounds of each poet showcased you will find that being African American is what we all have in common. I tried to work for balance by having an equal number represented by gender. Our educational backgrounds, social economic status, age, marital status and professional work are as diverse and varied as America. For example, Toni is married to a Jewish man; she battles daily with Multiple Sclerosis, yet she teaches art and runs her own art company. Makal, who is probably the youngest poet represented, lives in urbanized Aiken, S.C. He feels a strong connection to youth based ministering and speaks as a single black male living in the modern day south. Robert Ward, who is older, has been previously published and is actively working in the commercial end of the arts. He has a family and supporting them is his primary concern. I have several educational degrees, have worked in research and health care, and am married to a physician. I am also raising teenagers. Our backgrounds speak volumes on how our ethnicity comes second to status as Americans. We are actually having the "American" experience. We just happen to be Black.Tyler: This second volume of "View from the Middle of the Road" is subtitled "U.S. in Us" while the first volume was subtitled "where the greenest grass grows." What is the difference between these two volumes of poetry?Lucinda: The subtitles serve two purposes:One is to get the reader to see the artwork on the front cover.Two it shapes the perspective of the poets being showcased.For example, in View I, if you look closely at the cover art, walking in Faith by Audrey Crosby, you will see a woman walking down the middle of the road. There is a tornado and a volcano erupting in the background. When you read the poems you will see examples of experiences I either viewed experienced or had related to me. My perception of each experience shifted based on where I was on my journey that we call life. The poems by my children at the end helped me understand that the middle is okay. And that the grass is never as green as it may look on the other side. We must always keep our eyes forward for that is where we will find ourselves.In View II, Toni's artwork speaks to the turbulent times we (not just African Americans) find ourselves in. America the great "melting pot" is going through an identity crisis. The culture in America is now statistic driven for marketing, research government funding purposes and so we are being labeled by ethnicity instead of what is a common bond for us all; we are all part of this country. So if you look at the cover art titled U.S. in US, we as African Americans are part of the fabric, which makes up the American flag. No matter how the statistics or past history may label us.Tyler: I'm very interested in your description of cover art. The old saying is true that a book is judged by its cover. Will you describe for us the process of choosing the cover art? Do you yourself conceive the idea for the cover art, or do you pick an artist and give them free rein?Lucinda: I am still constantly exposed to art because of my time as an art agent. I usually have a concept in mind so that the image for the cover just pops out from all the art I am exposed to. We have yet to select an artist to create a cover; if we continue, as we are, who knows?Tyler: Lucinda, as the publisher of "View from the Middle of the Road," why did you decide to publish anthologies, and what are the challenges you face in marketing an anthology?Lucinda: We have published 8 titles to date. One deals with Alzheimer's, another with being an Iranian refugee, one as a tribute to African American Daughters, one that deals with stages in a woman's life and one dealing with the transitions from birth to death, a children's book about a Hispanic family, and two view titles.I believe an anthology is easier to market than a single poet's title. It takes the same energy to promote one poet as it does to showcase many. If one gets heard, then others benefit. Because the anthologies are tied to our annual contest, I feel we are creating awareness, expanding minds and seeding the future of the literary arts.The biggest challenge is the statement poetry is hard to sell. My answer: do you have a favorite song? If you remove the melody from any song, the lyrics if read alone are poetry. I believe poetry to be one of the remaining higher literary art forms, because you still have to put on your thinking cap to create it, perform it effectively and to appreciate it when you read it. That takes a lot of imagination.Tyler: Lucinda, when did you first decide or discover that you were a poet?Lucinda: When I was a teenager I wrote poetry all the time. My parents strongly encouraged me to think about other ways to make a living. So I stopped writing and studied to become a doctor. After a failed attempt in becoming a doctor, I worked with artists and authors in Philadelphia. I re-found my writing muse after many of the artists I represented encouraged me to find my artistic voice. The courage to write poetry returned full force in 2003-2004 for the first View book. For example, I would be brushing my teeth and a poem would come fully formed into my brain. I find that some event or experience triggers my writing.Tyler: What do you think are the biggest challenges a poet faces publicly, especially compared to novelists or non-fiction writers?Lucinda: This is a great question!Having the ability to wear many hats in this business I would say. If you as the poet can appreciate the fact that your readers/audience are having at least two types of experiences when they partake in your work. One is when they read your work, without you there to share and give background, your work is received in a totally different way. Second, when you are reading to the audience. The audience can now be fully engaged in all aspects of the creative process. They know exactly what you meant when you wrote it, and they come away enriched because you shared. This cannot be stressed enough.Tyler: Thank you for joining me today, Lucinda. Before we go, would you tell our readers where they may purchase a copy of "View from the Middle of the Road, Volume II" and where they may go to find out more information on the book and others in the series?Lucinda: The book can be purchased online at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com. or by visiting our website http://www.prapublishing.comThank you Tyler for having on your program!Tyler: Thank you, Lucinda. Best of luck with this anthology and the ones to come. seuss book collection sets cat hat

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu