vineri, 2 aprilie 2010

The Shadow of the Wind - Book Review

Daniel Sempere is a ten-year-old boy in Barcelona taken by father to the cemetery of forgotten books. He is encouraged to select just one book, which he does, and little does he know that by doing so, he sets in motion a series of events that will shape his life forever.The Shadow of the Wind has been hugely successful and has bathed in countless numbers of truly wonderful reviews. It has sold massively well and I came to this book full of hope, and yes, though I enjoyed it, I went away slightly disappointed.It is translated from the Spanish and one or two of the translations really grated with me. "Excuse me?" Time and again for Pardon, or I beg your pardon, being just one of them. In 1940's Barcelona, I think not.I found the book surprisingly difficult to read too. After a dozen pages or so I wanted to put it down and try something else, when I prefer a book that grabs me and demands to be read as long as I remain awake. Consequently it took me ages to complete, though finish it I did eventually. I hate to start anything without reaching the end.The book is set against the background of the Spanish Civil War and images and memories from that time were stark, real, frightening, and a reminder of how recent it all was, and how easy it is, for mature countries to lapse into chaos and violence.Don't let me put you off. There is enough in here to please almost anyone. The characters are strong and live long in the memory, as do many of the images. But did it live up to the hype? Not in my eyes, but thankfully each of us different. You may love it, many folks do.The Shadow of the WindBy Carlos Ruiz ZafonISBN: 0753819317 dr seuss cat in hat book

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu